Saturday, August 3, 2013

Kind Cops

To be fair, if I'm going to call cops pigs, feature recurring posts on pigs in the pokey linking to their misconduct, and say they are all bad and racist, I should also note when there is a cop acting kindly. The truth is: I think there are some cops who intend and try to do good and maybe the majority are not intentionally racist but we all act with implicit biases. Why I get more mad at cops for having the same implicit biases that we all have is that thoses biases result in a disproportionate number of people detained, arrested, and ultimately incarcerated because of their race.

Anyway, I am reposting this tweet that a public defender JJC follows wrote the other day. I am sure we all have stories where a cop we destroyed on the stand showed us compassion or did us a favor when he was off the stand. So, to those cops who respect what we do, even though I joke about it and it may not be clear I'm joking, I respect you too.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments :

Post a Comment

opy and paste this code into your pages.