Thursday, July 25, 2013

just because i'm a bad ass bitch in court doesn't mean you can't hurt my feelings!!

There is nothing that makes me mad more than a prosecutor who accuses me of something.  Ironic, because prosecutors have made a career out of accusing people of shit because they love to do that so much (whether it is founded or unfounded).  But, I really truly get pissed when a prosecutor accuses me of something.




Case-in-chief.  A prosecutor (who shall remain nameless and whose jurisdiction and even federal or state status shall too) accused me of acting shady because WAIT FOR IT the court granted my request on a case and I did not make sure that the prosecutor--who was assigned to that department, physically in that department, physically at counsel table in front of the judge when this happened--knew what was going on.  You think I am making this up, I am not.  This person accused me of trying to pull one over on him/ her.

I am not sure if I was more upset that I was being accused of something I am not, shady, that I was being FALSELY accused of this, or that my tax dollars were paying for a person to do a job and when this person was literally asleep at the job he/she actually believed  it was appropriate to blame me.  But, the accusation actually made me cry.  and not just a few tears. Like I really cried about it. so, although i have had a relatively (white)privileged life and don't know what it is like to have people in power assuming the worst of me ... i do have a little glimpse into how it feels. and that shit hurts!

As defense attorneys we should never be shocked when a prosecutor accuses us, especially falsely, of something.  I just wish they would think twice before doing it to us, but more importantly, our clients.

No comments :

Post a Comment

opy and paste this code into your pages.